Re: Why is portmap installed by default?

On Thursday 24 August 2006 16:14, kevin bailey wrote:
> Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > Am 2006-08-20 14:49:53, schrieb kevin bailey:
> >> Why is portmap installed by default on a vanilla basic Debian Sarge
> >> install?
> >
> > Sorry, but portmap is NOT installed...
> >
> > This was changed from Woody->Sarge and I was surprised too,
> > that I had to install portmap my own
> >
> >> As far as I can see this is mainly used by by NFS and NIS - so if we're
> >> not using either of these then why should it be installed.
> >
> > It is not - and IF it is there, it was installed as Dependency.
> >
> > Greetings
> >     Michelle Konzack
> >     Systemadministrator
> >     Tamay Dogan Network
> >     Debian GNU/Linux Consultant
>
> Hmmm...
>
> I don't think I installed anything which needs to have portmap - certainly
> not NFS or NIS.
>
> Anyway, I'll check after the next vanilla install.

Install one of the "harden" meta-package (-client and/or -server). It will
conflict with some "dangerous" packages, including portmap. This way, you can
also assure portmap isn't installed thereafter (say, if you install
something, that suggests/recomends fam).