Re: first A record of security.debian.org extremely slow

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:23:07AM +0000, Brett Parker wrote:
> *blink* - erm, just out of interest, how does this help? This is just
> going to stop packets from going to that IP, it's not going to stop
> things resolving to that IP, so instead of getting a slow connection
> you're just going to get a connection refused... seems like an odd way
> of doing things - maybe it would be better to use a local caching
> nameserver that you can configure to filter out that IP when there is
> more than one A record available instead? (I can't think of a simple way
> of doing that off the top of my head, though)

it is an odd way, but it is simple and it works because apt will use the
other records if the blocked one fails (i do the same). messing with
your /etc/hosts isn't much better...

cu  robert

--
Robert Lemmen                               http://www.semistable.com