Re: Bad press again...

Florian Weimer wrote:
> # When a new connection arrives from a 'maclist' interface, the packet passes
> # through then list of entries for that interface in /etc/shorewall/maclist. If
> # there is a match then the source IP address is added to the 'Recent' set for
> # that interface. Subsequent connection attempts from that IP address occuring
> # within $MACLIST_TTL seconds will be accepted without having to scan all of
> # the entries. [...]
>
> Highly ambiguous at best. 8-(

It makes perfect sense to me...  All it's saying is that IP-to-MAC
mappings are cached in the 'Recent' set for each interface for
$MACLIST_TTL seconds without requiring them to be passed through the MAC
filter for every packet.

> The behavior of the MAC filter is not documented at all.

http://www.shorewall.net/MAC_Validation.html

"Not documented at all" is not a phrase i've *ever* heard used about
Shorewall.

> Anyway, this subthread won't lead us to a DSA.  Tomorrow, I'm going to
> set up shorewall in my lab and reproduce the bug.  Hopefully that's
> more productive (in some weird sense, of course).

What you do in your lab is up to you, but isn't that a bit of a waste of
time when Lorenzo has already done it?  He just told me that he sent the
results of his testing to the security team in his original request for
a DSA.

--
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>