Re: Importance of browser security

Ben Bucksch wrote:
Stefano Salvi wrote:

I prefer to have no X on the server and administer it from command line or Web interfaces (command line is better).

Let's say

  1. You use Mozilla from sarge
  ... CUT ...
  Description of an exploit

That's what's at stake here.

I don't care, if a Mozilla security update breaks some badly written extensions. And if it breaks Galeon's print function, so be it, you can still use Mozilla in this rare case. But there's *no* recovery from a bad breakin.

I completly agree with you.
My point was:
- server software needs strict security and less functionality; a long release cycle is welcome; it is preferred to stick to some releases of the software. - desktop software needs good security, but also new features; you prefer to get the latest release of a software.

My choice is to stick on woody (I'll rebulid now with Sarge, now) for the server and use Sid on the desktop, upgrading it regularly.

I think this gives me strong security on the server and good security AND features on the desktop.

The difference is that I didn't install an old browser on the server and keep the browser updated constantly on the desktop.

Using this policy, from time to time my desktop has some problems (I'm using unstable).

I would be very happy if there was a "stable branch" that keeps software updated AND tracks security.

	Stefano