Re: On Mozilla-* updates

Vincent Bernat wrote:
OoO  Pendant le  journal télévisé  du dimanche  31 juillet  2005, vers
20:29, "Nikita V. Youshchenko" <yoush@cs.msu.su> disait:

Requiring users to install an important component (which Mozilla is) from
other sources is a bad idea in this context. I think it should not be the
way how Debian solves it's problems.

For supporting this point, Firefox  is ranked 244 on popcon. Konqueror
is 545.
You have to note that Konqeror is installed by default by the "desktop environment" task. Everyone using Kde OR Gnome has conqueror installed unless disinstalled manually. (the same could be told about Mozilla)
Firefox is an optional package: who installs it has the WILL to install it!
I think that eliminating Mozilla or Firefox (or Thunderbird) would greatly damage Debian.
I think that two kinds of people are interested in Debian:
- Ones who want Security
- Ones who want Stability
Both appreciate the fine granularity and strong dependency system of Debina packages, but have different needs.
Cutting one category in favor for the other would be a mistake.
One possible solutioni is to leave to the user the choice between maximal security or maximal functionality.

A possible solution could be an option on apt-get to warn when you install less secure packages and dispose a feed for "desktop applications", the style of "security" feed, to keep these packages updated, allowing also version updates.

I know this is not the right place, but I think that marging two desktop environments (Gnome and Kde) in a single task of Tasksel is not a good thing, as a user usually sticks to one environment, but has a whole different one installed and never used.

	Stefano