Re: On Mozilla-* updates

Greetings,

Am Samstag, 30. Juli 2005 23:28 schrieb Floris Bruynooghe:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 05:38:09PM +0200, Jan Luehr wrote:
> > Greetings,.
> >
> > Am Samstag, 30. Juli 2005 16:47 schrieb Martin Schulze:
> > > Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> >
> > (...)

> > > Be prepared for reality, in half a year or in one year, there won't be
> > > 1.0.x Mozilla Firefox packages anymore that build on Debian stable.
> > > At least that's what I anticipate.
>
> <snip/>
>
> > Imho, we should really face the consequences of these issues and stop
> > shipping mozilla.
>
> Or keep mozilla in volatile and not in stable.  But since mozilla is
> already shipped in sarge this will be an etch issue (as I also hope
> volatile will be official from etch on).  I just can't see a package
> being deleted from sarge, imho the best we can do right now is send
> out DSA's and point to volatile for fixes.

This is not as easy as it seems.
You'll at least not be able to ship some other packages.

A bunch of packages are depending on mozilla. If mozilla is has API changes,
you might pach galeon, if there is not a clean patch for galeon - which will
probably happen, if our galeon is out of date. (Also an event, which is much
likely to happen).
 If you need a new galeon you probably need a new bunch of gnome libs as -
well. Now we're talking about a full featured, actively supported gnome in
debian volatile...

Keep smiling
yanosz