Re: named: 'error sending response: unexpected error'

John Keimel wrote:

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 08:25:37AM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
| Jul 12 18:41:07 zbasel named[5317]: client 24.93.40.63#38829: error sending response: unexpected error

I see this error when a particular server of mine cannot confirm that it
sent an answer to a query, most often due to a network problem. See, my
server occasionally loses its network, so while BIND is still trying to
send replies, no network is available. It prints the error just like
you're seeing in the logs.
I'd imagine that a misconfigured firewall (allow DNS queries, but not
answers) might also show the same error. So, I've seen it and under my circumstances, I consider it harmless.

Second that. You might be triggering a TCP-based query with such a large record set, and it's a well-known that DNS and TCP do not always work as they should. If it is true that your nameservers are truncating the response (no idea since you didn't say what domain name), you should probably reduce the size of your record set for the round robin or look into using a real load balancer.

--
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Mark D. Foster, CISSP <mark@foster.cc>  http://mark.foster.cc/