Re: Bad press related to (missing) Debian security

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [2005.06.27.2100 +0200]:
> There is a problem with that, namely responsible disclosure. The
> team cannot be too big or else the other organisations in the
> consortium will object for danger of leakage.
>
> I think what we do need though is an infrastructure which makes it
> easier for people to contribute on public issues.

Petter Reinholdtsen added the following over at -project
(forwarded with permission)

  There already exist a larger team monitoring security lists, CVE
  reports, fixing bugs and helping maintainers fixing bugs etc.  It
  works in public, and accept help for everyone interested in
  participating.  It is the testing security team,
  <URL:http://secure-testing.alioth.debian.org/>.  I believe that
  all people interested in helping out with the security work in
  Debian should make an effort in this team.

  This will directly help the security status of Debian unstable and
  testing (security fixes for testing are normally uploaded into
  unstable), and indirectly help the stable security team as this
  team get a list of security issues to track, proposed patches,
  knowledge about the security issues discovered, and thus less work
  fixing the publicly known security issues.  In addition, it can
  form a good recruitment base for the stable security team.  Those
  proving themselves in the public work with testing security, will
  be good candidates for the stable security team.

  Isn't this a good way to do it?

... nothing to add.

`. `'`

"when a gentoo admin tells me that the KISS principle is good for
 'busy sysadmins', and that it's not an evolutionary step backwards,
 i wonder whether their tape is already running backwards."