Re: OT - was Re: My machine was hacked - possibly via sshd?

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 21:35 +1000, Ivan Brezina wrote:

> Let me point, that meanig of word "stable" is differnet for RedHat/SUSE.
> Debian "stable" is more like "frozen" - no bugfixes, no new drivers
>   no new features. Just security fixes a and some "critical" fixes.
>
> RedHat "stable" is more like solid usable system. RH actualizes
>   device drivers, fixes memory leaks and in case of mozilla
>   they push newer version into distribution rather then having unsecured
>   version.
>
> I am not big fan of RH, but I must point that they are more pragmatic.
> RH AS 2.1 contains actualized drivers for PERC so you can install it on
> DELL servers.
> Last week they have fixed telnet so you can use portnumber a -8 option together.
> Such "evil" patches can never get into "stable".
>
> Look at http://www.openldap.org/software/release/changes.html.
> Openldap team had fixed dozens of memory leaks and deaklocks.
> How many of them got into stable? None. If you are really looking for
> "stable" system you should install "testing".
>
> Ivan
> PS: sorry about offtopic post.
> PS: sorry about my english

Ivan - your English is fine.  And I agree with you.  I guess it all
comes down to your definition of stable doesn't it...

Dave

Proud Libranet GNU/Linux user
Libranet The TOP Libranet distribution
http://www.libranet.com/
Download your free trial of Libranet 2.8.1 today!