Re: My machine was hacked - possibly via sshd?

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 11:52 +0200, List (mitm) wrote:
> [...]

Mozilla for one.

Not all kernel exploits for for 2.6 or much later versions of 2.4 (after
2.4.23) really have any effect on 2.4.18-<blah> in the Stable Distro,
the problem areas aren't even there! But tell me, have they fixed the
futex problems in 2.6? Also, when are they going to make it so modules
(such as many IDE modules) are unloadable?

If you can justify to me why a newer kernel will fix any of my problems
on my woody systems, you will have succeeded where many other have
failed.

Just so you understand, I do like the newer kernels, but 2.6.x right now
has big difficulties with java apps, due to the futex issues. Yes, there
are other ways to implement workarounds, but why when 2.4.18 does just
fine.

My other machine is still running 2.4.20 with stack smashing protection
and preemptive task switching on. I haven't had a single problem yet.
And please, I already have tracked all the traffic on them. No point in
showing any malice now.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is