Re: My machine was hacked - possibly via sshd?

Michelle Konzack wrote:
Am 2005-03-28 19:25:21, schrieb s. keeling:

Incoming from David Pastern:

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 07:25 +1000, Malcolm Ferguson wrote:
Your kernel is old.  That's for starters.  2.4.30 is in rc2 now.  It
alone fixes some security issues.  2.4.18 is ancient, and there's most

But 2.4.18 is the Debian stable kernel, which gets security updates
and patches, no?

NO, since one year.
First of all, "rc" doesn't mean Release Candidate?
If it's not released yet, can you trust it and put in a production machine?.

Second point: I weekly update/upgrade my system, which was installed as plain Woody. As said in each release announce since then, I would be up to date this way. All announce say "this release includes only security patches and bug fixes - if you installed all security upgrades you would be OK without thi release".

I looked for a newer kernel in my sources, but I found none.

I serched fo it on the Debian site and I found 2.4.19, which is not available on my machine.

I plan to upgrade the system to Sarge as soon as it will be available.
In the meantime, it's worth to download the new kernel source and compile it?

Thank you
	Stefano Salvi