Re: Packet sniffing & regular users

Ok, to clarify questions I've seen. =-) I don't care about users being
able to see all traffic on the wire. That's not of any concern since
all critical traffic is already encrypted and is nice and safe. I'm
trying to play with a network tool (VoIPong) that listens for all
traffic on a NIC. Unfortunately, this tool has a telnet-based remote
interface that I will need. Thus, sudo and su shouldn't be used since
I would rather not potentially open up an easy remote root exploit.
Also, this explains my need for the ability to drop a NIC into
promiscuous mode.

Getting back to the problem at hand, is it required to be a superuser
in order to listen to all traffic coming in on a NIC? (I've always
believed yes, but I'm just making sure here....) And is it possible to
drop a NIC into promisc mode (as root) and leave it there?

Also, thanks sooo much for the quick replies! =-)
Brian

--
"As a result of the war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of
corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the