Re: Loop-AES help

Hi Bradley,

Bradley Alexander <storm@tux.org> wrote:
> I'm posting here in the in the hope that someone can help and because
> there does not seem to be a loop-AES mailing list, and the sourceforge
> postings are closed within minutes with no response. I tried posting
> to debian-user, but got no response there either. Hopefully someone
> here has some experience with loop-AES...

You could try posting to linux-crypto (@nl.linux.org) which is
mostly about loop-AES these days, or to Jari Ruusu directly. He is
usually very responsive to questions and bug reports.

> In any case, I was running loop-AES on two separate machines (loop-aes 3.0a,
> loop-aes-ciphers 3.0a, aespipe 2.3a, loop-aes-utils 2.12p, all built as debs)
> on kernel 2.6.9. I recompiled the kernels on both, removing loop and
> cryptoloop, as stated in the loop-AES.README.

What role does the second machine have? If you've copied the image
over to another machine, you might be affected by this bug that was
fixed in 3.0b:

 loop-AES-v3.0b    January 16 2005
  - Fixed externally compiled module version multi-key-v3 ioctl
    incompatibility with boxes running 64 bit kernel and 32 bit
    userland.

That's just a guess though.

> [storm@volga ~]$ mount ../docs/
> Password:
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
                                                           ^^^^^
> dmesg tells me
> ReiserFS: loop3: warning: sh-2021: reiserfs_fill_super: can not find reiserfs
> on loop3
     ^^^^^

Is the mismatch (loop0/loop3) due to trying different things out
or are there perhaps other entries in dmesg?

> Even if I boot back into 2.6.9, the same indications occur. Anyone
> know why this is happening or a method to recover the info on the
> partition?

Not me, sorry. I would probably start by trying a losetup by hand
and see what that gives, sometimes eg. in case of a failing ioctl the
error messages there are more descriptive than those from mount.

Other things you could check:
 - Is the correct loop module loaded? (size in lsmod should be ~60K)
 - Have fstab or LVM settings changed in any way?
 - Anything else changed compared to the original setup?

Good luck!

Cheers,
Max

--
308E81E7B97963BCA0E6ED889D5BD511B7CDA2DC