Re: telnetd vulnerability from BUGTRAQ

Incoming from Rick Moen:
> Quoting Milan Jurik (M.Jurik@sh.cvut.cz):
>
> > The question isn't if stop using telnet. The question is why Debian's
> > telnetd is still vunerable.
>
> I'd apologise for the off-topic digression -- if I thought I'd given
> offence.  ;->

No-one should have to apologise for warning against bad security
practices.  $DEITY knows the Windows crowd doesn't care about it, but
we're better than that, right?  One unpatched Microsh*t box in your
LAN, and one nitwit using IE, and your whole network is owned.  It
would be irresponsible not to warn others about it.

If/when they get in, they can also get a sniffer in.  If you're
running telnet, you're fooling yourself.  If you're using ssh
ubiquitously, that's yet another vector closed to them.

I don't have a lot of patience for those who think, "Yes, we know the
risks, but we'd rather not change."  Evolution in action, indeed.

- -