Pseudo-cluster firewall

Hi all,

I have a firewall with 3 NICs (LAN,DMZ,ROUTER); this is a single point of
failure, of course! I've decided to build a backup firewall, with similar
hardware (just in case) and the same config.
Now the problem: I have only a cross-over cable from the router to the
firewall, so I cannot connect the backup firewall.
Using a switch is pointless: the switch may die too.
Moreover I have a proxy in front of the lan, so I cannot connect 2
firewalls even on the lan side.

How to cope with this? Someone have such problems going to sleep?

Best regards.
Radel