Re: upgrading sendmail package when postfix installed

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 12:46, LeVA wrote:

> I have installed postfix from sources a while ago, and now there is a
> security update fro sendmail. As you probably know, I can not remove
> the sendmail package (although I'm not using it), because it would
> remove apache and many other packages wich are depending on a MTA. So
> can I "fake" the sendmail installation, so apt-get would see that
> sendmail has been upgraded, or do I have upgrade sendmail (for security
> reasons) and then re-install postfix all over again?

Use equivs to create a fake package that provides mail-transport-agent,
to keep the package management system happy. Then you won't need the
sendmail package.

bartjan@zarniwoop:~$apt-cache show equivs
Package: equivs
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 132
Maintainer: Fabio Rafael da Rosa <f2r@users.sourceforge.net>
Architecture: all
Version: 2.0.6-0.1
Depends: perl | perl5, debhelper, dpkg-dev, devscripts, make, fakeroot
Filename: pool/main/e/equivs/equivs_2.0.6-0.1_all.deb
Size: 18066
MD5sum: 0791bcf0d3e543bfeb147c1afdf42ac6
 This package provides a tool to create Debian
 packages that only contain dependency information.
 .
 If a package P is not installed on the system, packages
 that depend on P cannot normally be installed.  However,
 if equivalent functionality to P is known to be installed,
 this tool can be used to trick the Debian package management
 system into believing that package P is actually installed.
 .
 Another possibility is creation of a meta package. When this
 package contains a dependency as "Depends: a, b, c", then
 installing this package will also select packages a, b and c.
 Instead of "Depends", you can also use "Recommends:" or
 "Suggests:" for less demanding dependency.
 .
 Please note that this is a crude hack and if thoughtlessly used,
 it might possibly do damage to your packaging system. And please
 note as well that using it is not the recommended way of dealing
 with broken dependencies. Better file a bug report instead.

--
Tot ziens,

Bart-Jan