Re: Patches that break stuff

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 10:55 -0400, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 10:53:01AM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> > Are any hard stats available on how many Debian package upgrades have had
> > to be replaced because they broke something?  I'm thinking the total number of
> > broken updates in 2.2 and 3.0 is 0 plus or minus 1 :)
>
> It's definitely greater than 0.  In recent memory (earlier this year),
> we released a kernel image package that didn't contain any modules.
> Naturally it was fixed quickly, but I'm sure it lead to at least a
> couple of unbootable systems.

Check through the DSA advisories for revisions like -2/-3 etc. Some of
the updates did not fix the bug in the initial release, eg: DSA 460-2.

I have never had a problem with a broken DSA update though. The problem
with 479-1 would have been a problem for some people however.

--
David Stanaway <david@stanaway.net>