Re: Why not push to stable?

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 02:55:28PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> [2004.06.26.1452 +0200]:
> > what's the problem with:
> > deb mirror
> > deb security.d.o
> >
> > In this case, the file is taken from the mirror if it exists already
> > there, and otherwise from security.d.o.
>
> I understand. There is not problem. I am just wondering why the
> packages aren't also put into stable. Read my reply to Mike (which
> was sent after you wrote the above), please.

Methinks it's just a release practise. Until a point release of stable is
made, you take stable, which is a known version, and known to be consistent,
and then apply all security updates to get a secure system.

If security updates got constantly pushed to stable, it'd mean Debian 3.0r2
one day wouldn't be the same as 3.0r2 the next day. Would also make CD
making a bit difficult.

It's kind of a similar to question to why do you we bother to release? You
could just install testing on any given day.

regards

Andrew