Re: Adamantix

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 03:15:51PM +0200, Kim wrote:
>    Hi All.
>
>    I have been working with Debian for about 3 years now using it as
>    different server solutions.
>
>    The other day I came about the Adamantix distribution. Adamantix is a
>    distribution that aims to be very secure and very hard to crack. The
(...)
>    Why is this level of security not the standart of Debian?

There are several things you should notice here:

1.- There is a kernel-patch-adamantix package and many of the
Adamantix-specific tools (RSBAC tools mainly) are included in unstable and
supported fully. It is not provided by default since it breaks a number of
things (X, for example). This is a similar situation as with exec-shield
and SElinux in Debian.

2.- Besides the kernel changes, Adamantix recompiles the distribution with
a GCC patch that should limit buffer overflows, this one is called SPP
(formerly known as ProPolice). Steven Kemp is currently testing its impact
(see http://shellcode.org/Cat/). Gcc 3.3 does not yet include the patch per
default since it has not been sufficiently tested on non-i386 archs AFAIK
(see #233208 and #213994 for more information) There have been a number of
discussions at -devel regarding this patch (browse the archives)

So, regarding Debian vs Adamantix:

1.- the Adamantix kernel can be "made" on stock Debian, an admin has to do
it himself since it's not provided per default, however. This will provide
you RSBAC+PaX

2.- the pre-compiled packages are not available currently in Debian, but
you can re-compile them yourself. Debian might provide, in the future, a
i386 'flavor' that is compiled with SPP. However, this will be a different
"architecture" (just like i386 is different from sparc) and that means
there is a need for mirror space and porters.

So, even though all those features are currently easier to be found on
Adamantix (after all it's a very feature-specific distribution) they will
be available in Debian, fully supported and maybe even within the default
installation, sometime in the future.

How can you speed it up? Help get more testing/documentation done for the
Adamantix-specific things and help make this new 'i386-spp' flavor
available by testing both the SPP patches and packages compiled with SPP
enabled.

Notice that Adamantix's FAQ is not correct in some of the points they make
(see http://www.adamantix.org/faq.html). You can submit bugs to Debian's
BTS if they are related to any of the above.

>    Futher information is provided at [1]http://www.trusteddebian.org/

That link is not correct, and might be deprecated in the future, use
www.adamantix.org

HTH

Javier

PS: I will try to find some time to add this information to the Debian
Security Manual.