Re: rbl's status?

Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

In article <[🔎] 871xki7ttk.fsf@enki.rimspace.net> you wrote:

This sort of thing is why I would rather use any RBL within
SpamAssassin, rather than at SMTP delivery time. Even if one of these
services goes completely belly up and blacklists the world, I don't
automatically lose mail from it.

Please  dont do this. You MUST reject mails (by spam scanners, malware
scanners or blacklists) on the SMTP level, otherwise you become a pretty big
annoyance to the internet (if you bounce) or will siletnly lose mails (if
you drop them).

Bouncing or silently dropping potential spam are both obnoxious net behavior, but neither has anyhing to do with whether or not one does their spam classification before accepting mail at the SMTP level. Rejecting false positives can be pretty annoying, too!

I find rejecting potential spam at the SMTP level to be riskier than I'd prefer, but this is a judgment call that sysadmins need to make based on the needs of their users. Neither choice forces poor netiquette.

Matthew