Re: Hashcash - was re: Spam fights

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:43, shadur@systemec.nl (Rens Houben) wrote:
> In other news for Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 11:24:05PM +1000, Russell Coker has
been seen typing:
> > Besides, with an army of Windows Zombies you could generate those
> > signatures anyway...
>
> Why bother, when said windows machines will have perfectly good
> signatures stored on them somewhere already?

Presumably the signature would be based on the envelope recipient and
therefore signatures you find on someone else's machine would not do any
good.  If it was otherwise then a single signature would work for an entire
spam run.

I am assuming that the sending machine would not store the signatures for
messages it sent, which could be re-used if the spam messages were to have an
ancient time-stamp.  However this still wouldn't be of any great use, not
many people have more than 10,000 messages stored in their sent-mail folder
and the common case is far less.  Capturing a lot of zombies to generate
signatures would probably be easier than trying to find a machine that had a
large sent-mail folder.