Re: Hashcash - was re: Spam fights

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:34, Patrick Maheral <pmaheral@AAI.ca> wrote:
> It seems that most people here don't like CR systems, and I'd have to
> agree with that consensus.
>
> I'm just wondering what is the general feeling about using hashcash and
> other header signatures systems.

Currently you can't accept only such messages because almost no-one sends
them.  Most people see no need to send them because almost no-one checks for
them when receiving a message.

Anti-spam measures may be used on workstations eventually, but have to be
initially installed at servers if they are to become popular.  The people who
run big mail servers (AOL, Hotmail, etc) don't want to install hashcash for
the same reason that spammers won't install it.

Besides, with an army of Windows Zombies you could generate those signatures
anyway...