Re: Major TCP Vulnerability

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 at 06:37:50PM -0400, Steve Ramage wrote:
> Stupid Question, I don't understand how IPSec is secure. Can't you just
> kill the IPSec connection, or is IPSec connectionless? As I understand
> it you have [TCP HEADER | TCP DATA ] in a TCP Packet. With Ipsec you
> have [ TCP Header | encrypted([TCP HEADER | TCP DATA]) ] that you could
> still kill.

IPSec uses AH (Auth Headers) to authenticate packets using
encryption/signing.  These packets are the "outer" packets.  The
encapsulated packets would still be vulnerable, but all information
about these packets are encrypted.  Furthermore, the IPSec endpoints
will typically not allow packets through from a peer network unless they
come via the IPSec tunnel (at least properly configured setups
won't...).

One the connection is on the LAN side of either IPSec endpoint it is
once again vulnerable to intruders on the LAN.  IPSec will get you
across the "untrusted" Internet though (unless someone pulls the plug at
OSI layer 1 or 2...)

Hope this answers your question.

--
Phillip Hofmeister