Re: Getting spam though again :-(

no name supplied <ward336@earthlink.net> writes:

> On Mar 28, 2004, at 1:32 AM, Brett Furlong wrote:
> > Got spam though debian security list again...
> [...]
> >  is there a way, we can have a human filter all the eMails before they
> > are allowed to be sent to all of us?
>
> When I first read that, it sounded ridiculous, but after a while I
> thought "Hey, that might actually be possible!"
> Here's the cool part: if the first tier is large enough, then one of
> them is looking at a Debian-Security mail very soon after it has been
> sent.  So now we have a human reading the mail.  That human can say
> "oh good, that's not spam" and then the mail can be sent off to "all
> of us" in the second tier.
>
> That's the basic idea.  The technical aspects are the hard part, but I
> wouldn't be surprised if the community could figure it out.  (Please
> don't point out that in the current system the mails are sent out to
> everybody at once (I think) and so by the time the first human sees it
> it's already in almost everybody's inbox; I'm aware of that and still
> think with a little effort we can pull something like this off for the
> second tier) If some people volunteer to provide some resources
> (whether a server or code or just good ideas) and some people
> volunteer to be guinea pigs, at the worst we should have a very
> interesting experiment!

As for the technical aspect its probably easier to use a spam filter
post sending but pre reading. People would send the spam mail back to
a special address (spam-<list>@lists.debian.org or something) and it
gets added to the spam filter if a certain number of it are recieved.
Alternatively the db could store the number of spam reports per mail
and users could choose what level is needed for a mail to be spam.

When you fetch your mail from your local mailserver you pass it
through the spam filter, which in turn checks the spam db and ignores
spam. If you are one of the first to read a mail you might still get
spam but older spam will be filtered. The amount of spam would be
loosly correlated to how often you read your mail.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: Of cause this only works if all the readers of the list are more
or less trusted or if replying to spam-<list>@lists.d.o has some kind
of ID check.