Re: Positive press for Debian's security team

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 03:52:49PM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> A better question would be how they determined the applicability of the
> vulnerabilities.  This is a non-trivial job even for many individual
> vulnerabilities, and they claim to have surveyed hundreds.

Since they used a vulnerability database (ICAT) they probably (blindly)
correlated vulnerabilities that applied to products versus published
advisories which is bound to fail in many cases. Since the full reports
costs $899 and I assume (since this is news to mdz) they have not disclosed
this information to the Debian Security team [0], I wonder if we will ever
know what they are really talking about and what (if any) flaws the report
has. For example, I find it funny the use of an "average" (instead of other
alternative statistics metrics that more accurately reflect data) As it has
been said already: lies, damn lies and statistics....

The fact that numbers (on average) don't match what I have published before
(in 2001 [1] and last year at Debconf3 [2]) leads me to believe the data is
not really accurate (although in my analisys I included all vulnerabilities
and did not relate to severity). I would still be interested in reading the
full report...

Regards

Javier

[0] I wonder what's under the "Companies And Organizations Interviewed For
This Document" in their report.
[1]
http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2001/debian-security-200112/msg00257.html
[2] http://people.debian.org/~jfs/debconf/security/