Re: Checking what running program are using old libraries

Stefan Neufeind was heard to utter, at roughly 18/03/04 10:24:

On 18 Mar 2004 at 10:03, Ronny Adsetts wrote:

Whilst doing security upgrades this morning for openssl, it occurred to
me that lots of software that uses the openssl libraries will not automatically get restarted and will therefore still be running with old libraries and therefore be vulnerable. I usually do this by hand for the most obvious programs, but that can often get overlooked or things get missed.

I remember someone posting a method for locating programs that are running with old libraries, but don't recall where and I can't seem to find the right words whilst invoking google...

Before I go off and figure it out, does anyway have any scripts or snippets that they use for locating these programs?

Try using command "lsof". Will show you the open files, by which program they are opened and if there status is "deleted" (replaced library). Should help you in this case ...

Excellent, thanks. Knew there was a real easy way to do this! Now to knock up a script that uses this information to restart the correct app.

Stefan

Ronny
--
Technical Director