Re: Help! File permissions keep changing...

Well done Stefano!

Hhayes, have a look at your mask setting near the top of /etc/samba/samba.conf.  You should be able to make samba behave the way you want, even with Excel files, now you know that Excel is deleting then rewriting the files.

Another way to prove files were being deleted and rewritten would be to list the inode number of the file before and after changing its contents.  If the inode differs then you have an entirely different file.

ls -i file

Rgds
John