Re: Encrypted backups

On 13/01/2004, no.spam@please.de wrote:
> First of all, don't use the 'Z' option. GPG compresses itself and this
> would slow down the process a lot.

I'm pretty sure the 'Z' option is needed - coupled with the 'P' option
that tells afio to 'compress' using an external program that happens
to be gpg. I've also tried switching off compression on gpg (by adding
"-Q -z0") but that doesnt speed up the backup either.

Whats annoying is, I think the main slow down isnt from the
encryption, its from having to start gpg for every file in the backup
(afio compresses file by file). Encrypting a 4mb file on its own is
relatively quick with gpg.

I cant backup to a file based archive, encrypt that and write the
encrypted archive to tape in case of media errors. I'm assuming that
even a 1 bit error in an encrypted archive will break the whole
archive, or at least the rest of the archive following the error. This
is what afio is good for because a media error only corrupts the file
that it occurs in, not the whole archive.

[I also neglected to mention that I need to backup to tape as the
tapes are taken offsite as a further security measure (in case of fire
etc). This rules out backups to encrypted filesystems on a harddrive
as hard drives are easily breakable (if dropped for instance)]

Thanks,

Marcus

--
Marcus Williams -- http://www.quintic.co.uk
Quintic Ltd, 39 Newnham Road, Cambridge, UK