Re: chkrootkit and lkm

Am Di, den 25.11.2003 schrieb Johannes Graumann um 21:18:

> I was just running 'chkrootkit' and came across this warning:
>
> > Checking `lkm'... You have     4 process hidden for ps command
> > Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed

The same here (debian_sid):

root@host:~# chkrootkit lkm
ROOTDIR is `/'
Checking `lkm'... You have     5 process hidden for ps command
Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed
root@host:~#

> Am I right to assume that this is not the lkm kit, but rather some
> weiredness in PID assignment?
>
> The same PID thing is happening on my testing/unstable laptop -
> compromised as well or something else amiss in the distro, maybe related
> to the server break ins?

I do not think that it is a problem due to the compromised servers,
because I noticed this on machines, which had been not updated since
these serverhacks. I think this is a bug in the chkrootkit-package,
although it has not been reported on the buglist.

But please be carefull, it is only my opinion, I will not guarantee that
the hack is not the cause of the problem ;)

Greetz,
Andre

--
BOFH-excuse of the day: Traceroute says that there is a routing problem
in the backbone. It's not our problem.