Re: is iptables enough?

Hi all,

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 01:46:32PM -0600, Jones wrote:
> One thing they forgot to mention was that they used Exchange for
> email.  That means instead of running exim, I will have to forward
> SMTP & POP traffic to their Exchange server.  The Exchange server
> will not be directly connected to the Internet.

If you only port-forward the connections to the Exchange
Server you will expose it to the world like you would
run it on the firewall itself.

You are right about forwarding the traffic (how else should
they get their mail :), but IMHO it is far better to still
use exim, but "only" as a smart-host to redirect mail from
the internet to the Exchange-server and back. If you update
your debian-box regularly, you don't have to worry about the
security of the Exchange-server that much.

later

   Steffen Burmeister, Dipl. Wirtschaftsinformatiker (BA)

--
ebios informationssysteme volker birk
gut-betha-platz 1         88339 bad waldsee germany