Re: ptrace vulnerability?

On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 08:04, Giacomo Mulas wrote:
> 	Alan Cox apparently just made public a vulnerability in the stock
> kernel which would permit a local user to gain root privileges (see e.g.
> Linux Today, LWN, the LK mailing list...). Is a patched source package in
> the making already or should we humble users, in the meantime, take the
> original patch and apply it, while the "official" thing gets worked out?
Hi,

I've a unofficial Debian package called kernel-patch-ptrace in my own
deb repository[1].It was tested on i386, the patch applies fine over
kernel-source-2.4.20 package.Feel free to use it at your own risk and
send me any feedback.

Only two modifications from the original patch by Alan Cox:
- The arch/um was commented because kernel-source-2.4.20 doesn't have
user mode linux!
- The third hunk of sched.h was commented because the associated
function wasn't found in kernel-source-2.4.20.

[1] = deb http://legolas.alternex.com.br/~stratus/debian/ ./

Cheers,
--
Gustavo Franco <stratus@legolas.alternex.com.br>