Re: [OT] Peace is not off topic

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tomasz Rola" <rtomek@cis.com.pl>
To: "Ted Parvu" <ted@parvu.net>
Cc: "Tomasz Rola" <rtomek@cis.com.pl>; <debian-security@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 11:41 PM
Subject: Re: Peace is not off topic

[snip]

> Now, Germany, France and Russia don't want to loose their market. Yea,
> they sold - maybe even sell - weaponry, chemicals nd tech to Iraq (ok,
> Poland build quite a lot there too)... How you think Saddam got his
> Mirages he was hiding away in bunkers  during the GW1? They also know it
> very well it will be US money that rebuilds a postwar Iraq, a kind of
> Marshall plan, eh? So what do they do? Of course, call for more UN
> inspectors.

I tried really, really hard to stay out of this but this one is just too big
to let by. Yes, France has sold weapons to Irak. It has done so along with
the US, britain and germany. That was during the Iran-Iraq war in the 80's.
Iran was supported by theURSS so naturally the US got involved when it
became clear that Iraq was going to loose. Now I don't know what and how
much France, the UK and germany sold to Irak but I know that the US sold
both chemical and biological weapons (A nice load of anthrax in fact). Both
were used against Iran but the US administration didn't seem to care at the
time. After GW1 there is no way any western country could have sold weapons
to Irak in a profitable manner. Do you really think the US would have
allowed that? Now the only interest France and Russia may have in Irak is
oil (and frankly not enough to compensate for economic sanctions from the
US) but that is true for the US too (Most of the government comes from the
oil industri). Now I don't think Germany has any economic interests in Iraq.
So I'm sorry to disappoint you but it is most probably the most impartial
country in the security counsil on this matter.

[snip]

bye
Anders