From: Bill [mailto:bill07@shaw.ca]
Sent: 11 March 2003 20:25
To: debian-security@lists.debian.org
Subject: Blocking sub-range of IP addresses

Hello Debian,

I want to block all ip's ending in 224 to 255 but not 220 and others
searching the net I found I need to add "/27" to end of the ip.
I understand /8 /16 /24 /32 somewhat but...

My question:  what makes /27 significant
X.Y.Z.224 - X.Y.Z.255
deny from 63.148.99.224/27

Thanks
P.s. for example, how would I block only X.Y.Z.23 - X.Y.Z.55 ???

The information contained in this message is intended for
the addressee only and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not the addressee, please delete this message and notify the sender;
you should not copy or distribute this message or disclose its contents to anyone.

Any views or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of The Vital International Group or any of its affiliates.
No reliance may be placed on this message without written confirmation
from an authorised representative of its contents.

Registered in England @ Wilsons Corner, 1st Floor, 1-5 Ingrave Road, Brentwood, Essex, CM15 8AP.