Re: extrange passwd behaviour

On Sunday, 2003-12-07 at 00:58:59 +0900, Hideki Yamane wrote:

> >Can't be NIS. NIS will transport any password style faithfully. Of
> >course the master server must support MD5 passwords if you change your
> >password and the passwd command sends an MD5 password to the
> >yppasswordd.

>  I've heard about non-Linux NIS client (for example, solaris8 and
>  SFU - Windows Service for Unix) cannot use MD5 password for NIS.
>  Is it not true?

Can't tell about Windows. But Solaris up to the most recent released
version (Solaris 9) can only use DES passwords. I believe I read that
Solaris 10 will add support for MD5.

FreeBSD supports MD5 passwords. So it's not non-Linux.

Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| "Violence is the resort of the violent" Lu Tze                         |