Re: Upgrading Kernels...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric D Nielsen" <nielsene@MIT.EDU>
To: <debian-security@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 7:48 PM
Subject: Upgrading Kernels...

> I'm a little confused as to how/when I should upgrade my kernel.  I'm not
> subscribed to this list a present, so please include me in the cc.
>
> I've seen several of the security annoucements concerning new/patched
> versions of several of the Linux kernels, but I'm seldom sure if it
> applies to me.  apt-get update; apt-get upgrade normally do not find
> any packages.  (I have the security server in the source list.)
>
> I'm using the 2.4.18.bf2.4 kernel.  I saw that new headers for it were
> added to the security server recently, but don't know what else is
> needed.  Does the machine need to be reboot'ed, after the apt-get upgrade?
>
> I saw that kernel images were provided for some of the other Linux
kernels,
> but not for the bf2.4 variant.  Does this mean that the bf2.4 variant is
> already safe/patched as is, or that the packager/maintainer hasn't gotten
> it yet?
>
> I'm a little wary of moving off the bf2.4, it seems to be the only one
that
> likes my network configuration.  Several of the machines I need to
administer
> are hard to get local access to, so if the network goes, I'm out of luck.
>
> Please advise.  Thank you.
>
> Eric Nielsen
>

> --
listmaster@lists.debian.org

Hi

It seems at kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4 and kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686 are
patched. and i belive all of stock kernels are patched. bf2.4 variant
published i remembered at 2.12.03. Traditionally Debian apt-get
update/upgrade can't upgrade kernel. This is'nt always true. May be you
should tray apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18.bf2.4 if kernel is older
this will install new kernel over your existing on.

hope this help

Riku