What will be old configurations if new kernel installed

Hi,
I use 2.4.28-bf2.4, and i want to change it to
kernel-image-2.4.18-1-386_2.4.18-12_i386.deb for new security upgrade,
but this will be first time for me. I have not upgraded kernel before
this. What will be my configurations? For example my old modules (sound,
eth, USB, iptables etc.) will been changed?

I know this is a newbie's question. And this list doesn't seem for
newbies. But i've asked this question on a user list and irc.debian.org
#debian channel. And didn't recieve any reply. May be i'm very
impetuous. But this is very important, isn't it?

Thanks from now...

 E&Erdem