Re: Security patches

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:53, Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 22:47, David Spreen wrote:
> > of their programs. the system could use a db of installed-package
> > resources. Therefore we would need to create a common language that
> > could be translated to any acl-format.
>
> This doesn't make sense.  The basis of SELinux is Type Enforcement and
> RBAC, not ACLs.

I think that was just a terminology error.

> Trying to create some sort of "generic" security policy that could map
> to a SELinux policy or grsecurity policy would be very difficult, and I
> wouldn't trust my system's security to such a thing.

It would be difficult, and the output of such a program would need to be
checked by a human.  But such a program should be able to at least reduce the
difficulty of writing new policy.

Maybe if Brian May is interested in getting a second Ph.D he can look at it...