Re: More hacked servers?

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 08:21:14AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 01:09:27AM -0500, Jim Hubbard wrote:
> > After the Linux kernel server got hacked a few weeks ago, and now this
> > successful attack at Debian, my confidence is shaken.  I hope we'll see full
>
> I'm curious: why would this serve to shake your confidence?

And to add to that... the linux kernel thing wasn't even
close. Someone got a phony update into a cvs server that
perhaps 4 people used. It never got close to a real
release and given the checks in bitkeeper, not to
mention Linus... they'll have to get a lot more
sophisticated for it to not be caught quickly.

I'll be interested in seeing the report on the debian events
*when* they've had a time to finish their forensics.

   Dale Amon     amon@islandone.org    +44-7802-188325
       International linux systems consultancy
     Hardware & software system design, security
    and networking, systems programming and Admin
	      "Have Laptop, Will Travel"