Re: Securetty: limits root login while allowing 'su -'

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 10:13:16PM +0000, Ennio-Sr wrote:

> I limited root login to two ttys only  (in /etc/securetty) but yesterday
> I discovered I could 'su -' to root in the excluded ttys.  Do you think
> this is normal behaviour

Yes.

| root@nova:/etc/pam.d# grep securetty *
| login:# Disallows root logins except on tty's listed in /etc/securetty
| login:auth       requisite  pam_securetty.so
| root@nova:/etc/pam.d#

You could try adding this line to the </etc/securetty/su> file and see
what happens:
| auth       requisite  pam_securetty.so

Just make sure you can get to root in a way other than the <su> command
if things break.

--
Tom Goulet				mail: uid0@em.ca
UID0 Unix Consulting			web:  em.ca/uid0/