Re: easiest way to configure STARTTLS and PAM/AUTH on debian sendmail?

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Jeff Wiegley wrote:

> I'm very tired of struggling with sendmail to get it to support STARTTLS
> and SMTPAUTH under debian.

More on this in a minute...

> STARTTLS is a pretty easy single include line in the .mc files.

Yes, and more secure to boot - especially if you only allow plaintext
methods *after* STARTTLS negotiations

> but AUTH is a real pain.

Indeed :(

> What is the easiest method (preferrably one that doesn't require sasl)
> to get AUTH setup so that:
>    1) non-STARTTLS connections do NOT offer PLAIN or LOGIN, and
>    2) STARTTLS connections do honor PLAIN or LOGIN?

No dice, man...  SMTP AUTH *is* based upon SASL v1 or v2... There is
a GNU TLS, and iirc, even a GNU SASL replacement - but dont expect
a quick change from upstream or me; I know I've not investigated it
at all, and I'd expect that upstream hasn't even heard of it - bigger
fish to fry ATM.

> I'm 100% against sasl in general just for the simple fact that the
> developers have chosen to store passwords and user credentials in
> PLAINTEXT in a file on the filesystem. (add to that the need to
> maintain and synchronize two different databases or username/password
> information.)

Read the mailing lists, the horse carcass is almost completely decayed.

Yes, the two two sources is a PITA, but I don't see things changing...
If there is to be a plaintext authentication, from whence does it come?
/etc/shadow is MD5, ldap can use MD5 or other, etc...  Upstream seems
convinced that this isn't a problem, and that the callbacks to support
automigrate aren't worth the effort (which is what sendmail did by
default for SASL v1) :(

I note with some disatisfaction that you emailed me on this, and I
responded within hours (modulo the time delta) - only to see the
various posts of yours here...  Maybe I shouldn't stay up this late,
but it still seems coherent, for what little info there was !

I'm happy to help, but the other problem you mention is thusfar unique
to you, and I only follow these groups on an as time/sanity permits
basis and dislike having to tie notes from disjoint locations together
to get a cohesive picture of a problem... so pick a spot, any (singular)
spot and let me know where that is.

--
Rick Nelson
Intel engineering seem to have misheard Intel marketing strategy. The phrase