Re: easiest way to configure STARTTLS and PAM/AUTH on debian sendmail?

Jeff Wiegley said on Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 06:08:35AM +0000:
> What is the easiest method (preferrably one that doesn't require sasl)
> to get AUTH setup so that:
>   1) non-STARTTLS connections do NOT offer PLAIN or LOGIN, and
>   2) STARTTLS connections do honor PLAIN or LOGIN?
>
> I'm 100% against sasl in general just for the simple fact that the
> developers have chosen to store passwords and user credentials in
> PLAINTEXT in a file on the filesystem. (add to that the need to
> maintain and synchronize two different databases or username/password
> information.)

Uh, SMTP AUTH is based on SASL (SASL is a protocol and a library).  So, you
need sasl to do what you want.

http://www.technoids.org/wwstarttls.html appears to have the info you want,
specifically:

dnl # Offer SMTP AUTH only after encryption (STARTTLS) has been negotiated
define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS',`p,y')dnl