Re: Watch out! vsftpd anonymous access always enabled!

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 07:05:53PM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> In article <[🔎] E1A1X8W-00084G-00@calista.inka.de> you wrote:
> > FTP is a firewal nightmare, it is unsecure (plaintext), the more advanced
> > features are not standadized. Even parsing the directory output is terror to
> > the programmer.
>
> On my System, running apt-spy on a ADSL Link, from 85 Debian Morrirs which
> support HTTP and FTP 79 of them are faster via HTTP than FTP. Most of them
> are 30-50% faster.

  But from a server point of view FTP does allow things that HTTP doesnt
 easily support - such as limiting the number of simultaneous downloads,
 logins.

  I've setup a few mirrors of large sites and in general have done this
 by creating an FTP server in a DMZ, then using Apache's mod_proxy to
 redirect HTTP requests to it.

  This allows a lot of control on the part of the site admins, and is
 simple to maintain.

Steve
--
# Debian Security Audit Project