Re: MS BS + Sorting out the virii

[ I'm resending it because yesterday try didn't appear on the list.
Thomas Ritter has already answered to the copy which I sent directly to
him. ]

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 at  1:54:42 +0200, Thomas Ritter wrote:

> Just a note: Open Antivirus programs like clamav are not perfect, because the
> open virus database [1] is still too small... but for _sorting_ mail, clamav
> (it's in sid) is really good. It gives you
[...]
> [1] http://www.openantivirus.org/

Sorry but I must say that this is an incorrect claim.

Only in the very beginning, ClamAV had used just openantivirus.org's
database.  openantivirus.org hasn't been updated for months now.

Currently ClamAV's own database is quite big and is updated even a
couple of times a day if needed. It's quite good at new viruses caught
"in the wild", e.g. we had the signature for Gibe.F (alias Swen) at the
same day that the virus appeared.

Older viruses are gradually added to the database.

Everyone is encouraged to submit samples of viruses unknown for ClamAV
( http://clamav.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/sendvirus.cgi ).

It's a GPLed project and each of us can benefit of it, so developing it
(among others by submitting samples of new viruses) is a "Good Thing".

ClamAV is supported in Debian and it's very well integrated with
amavisd-new (which, in turn, can be used also with spamassassin).

--
 Tomasz Papszun   SysAdm @ TP S.A. Lodz, Poland  | And it's only
 tomek@lodz.tpsa.pl   http://www.lodz.tpsa.pl/   | ones and zeros.