Re: Watch out! vsftpd anonymous access always enabled!

> There's nothing wrong with offering data over ftp to the general public,
> especially when you can guarantee the contents in some way. There is
> something wrong when you need secure, private transfers.
 And what is wrong with it when you need secure, private transfers?

> I wonder though, why no-one has mentioned ftp over TLS/SSL, which is a
 that's because it was oh so cool to use scp to transfer files, and now
that's the only way l33t does it.
scp is a hack, ftp/tls is an elegant solution, and who would want elegant
solutions when they can feel l33t.
 What is wrong with people, someone ask for a solution, and everybody jumps
up to shout - "Hey! I know what is scp!", "Dude, I know rsync". I SOO envy
you, I never would've figured out how to use those highly sophisticated
tools...

 About FTP/TLS:

 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-murray-auth-ftp-ssl-12.txt
 	describes a mechanism that can be used by FTP clients
	and servers to implement security and authentication using the TLS
	protocol defined by [RFC-2246] and the extensions to the FTP protocol
	defined by [RFC-2228].

 http://www.ford-hutchinson.com/~fh-1-pfh/ftps-ext.html
      contains a list of clients and servers that supports the FTP TLS/SSL
      protocols, plus alot of additional info.

 simple tools like lftp support those almost-decade-old specifications,
there's no need to create shell accounts on your system for every person
who wants to transfer files, specification is clean and simple.

 There ARE scenarios where scp/sftp would fit better - for example you want
authentication based on private/public key. Support for that is very stable
with ssh, with ftp you would be pressed hard to find server that works like
that.

--
Dariush Pietrzak,
Key fingerprint = 40D0 9FFB 9939 7320 8294  05E0 BCC7 02C4 75CC 50D9