Re: [despammed] Re: How to reduce sid security

On Thursday 21 August 2003 02:20 pm, tbmoore@bealenet.com (Boyd Moore) (Boyd
Moore) wrote:
> I will try to explain again.  This is not an urgent problem, but it is
> highly irritating.
>
> I have an older PC running Debian Stable (Woody, 2.2.20).  My new PC
> is running Debian Unstable (Sid, 2.4.18-bf2.4).  I am using the latter
> for development, and my wife uses it for her e-mail, e-bay, etc.
>
> Both machines are connected through a Linksys router/firewall to DSL,
> and the Linksys is in its default mode which lets nothing through
> (except returning packets, etc), doesn't answer pings, etc.
>
> I would like for these two Linux systems to completely trust each
> other so I can run remote X (XDMCP), using the KDE3 service on the
> faster, more up-to-date PC, for my window manager on the older PC.
> You cannot do this through ssh as far as I can tell, and it would
> create quite a bit of overhead even if you could.

Are you sure you have xdmcp enabled for your xdm on the new PC?  Debian xdm
does not have any remote access enabled by default, IIRC.

If this isn't what you are looking for, you might want to ask on debian-user.