Re: Postfix Security Documentation

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 at 12:59:39 +0200, Lupe Christoph wrote:
> Quoting Tomasz Papszun <tomek@lodz.tpsa.pl>:
> > On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 at 10:55:55 +0200, Sven Riedel wrote:
>
> > > is there any documentation on securing a postfix server readily
> > > available? I didn't find anything much at the postfix homepage, nor in
> > > the postfix-doc package.
> > > I'd be especially interested in chrooting postfix processes.
>
> > In Debian, postfix is chrooted by default.
>
> Not true. A number of processes are chrooted, but not all. Please look
> at /etc/postfix/master.cf (IIRC). This is a standard feature of Postfix.

Sure, I know it.

# service type  private unpriv  chroot  wakeup  maxproc command + args
#               (yes)   (yes)   (yes)   (never) (50)
#
smtp      inet  n       -       -       -       -       smtpd
#628      inet  n       -       -       -       -       qmqpd
pickup    fifo  n       -       -       60      1       pickup
cleanup   unix  n       -       -       -       0       cleanup
qmgr      fifo  n       -       -       300     1       qmgr
#qmgr     fifo  n       -       -       300     1       nqmgr
rewrite   unix  -       -       -       -       -       trivial-rewrite
bounce    unix  -       -       -       -       0       bounce
defer     unix  -       -       -       -       0       bounce
flush     unix  n       -       -       1000?   0       flush
smtp      unix  -       -       -       -       -       smtp
showq     unix  n       -       -       -       -       showq
error     unix  -       -       -       -       -       error
local     unix  -       n       n       -       -       local
virtual   unix  -       n       n       -       -       virtual
lmtp      unix  -       -       n       -       -       lmtp

But I think that (almost?) all process that _can_ be chrooted, _are_
chrooted.
How could the 'local' process deliver mail to user mailboxes if it would
be chrooted??

If I'm wrong and it's possible somehow, someone may correct me of
course.

> Sven, do you want to chroot *all* processes? Postfix is supposed to be
> secure out of the box

I think the same :-) .

> (except for programming errors, as we recently saw :-( ).

Even those, they were just vulnerable to DoS and "bounce scans", not
break-ins.

--
 Tomasz Papszun   SysAdm @ TP S.A. Lodz, Poland  | And it's only
 tomek@lodz.tpsa.pl   http://www.lodz.tpsa.pl/   | ones and zeros.