Re: recommendations for FTP server

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 02:24:22PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 12:56:01PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
>
> > I am thinking about setting up an FTP server to be used by myself and a
> > couple of friends.  The box it will be running on is basically stock
> > Woody, and is currently only running apache and NAT'ing for a LAN.
> >
> > I'd like the FTP server to not allow anonymous logins (which I assume
> > most can do), chroot users to their home directories, and have some sort
> > of encrypted connections (over SSL would be nice).  I have thought about
> > just using sftp, but currently ssh connections are rerouted to another
> > box on the LAN, and I'd like to leave that set up as is, if possible.
>
> You could run sshd on another port.  Really, if you want encryption and no
> anonymous connections, sftp is the right tool for the job.

I went against running an FTP server for my users and went for using
SFTP (part of sshd).

For users who just have a standard web package (so they have no shell
access) I give them a shell called 'scponly-c', from the package
scponly which can be found at http://www.sublimation.org/scponly/

So they can only use SFTP and/or scp to upload files, no shell access.
They are also chroot'ed to their home directory for a bit of added
security.
I haven't had any reported problems.

You need to provide the programs they'll need though, like ls, pwd etc.
etc. in their home directory as they are running in a chroot (if you
take that option - It is possible without the chroot).

HTH,
David.
--
 .''`.     David Ramsden <david@hexstream.eu.org>