Re: kernel+grsecurity

>>>>> "Andrés" == Andrés Roldán <aroldan@fluidsignal.com> writes:

Andrés> Hi list.  I am the CSO of a company and I am going to install
Andrés> several Debian woody machines with a kernel patched with
Andrés> grsecurity. Theses servers will be critical production-ready
Andrés> machines. The question is, what should I have to be aware of by
Andrés> compiling this kernel and what should I do to ensure a stability
Andrés> in those servers?

In the past, I've had problems with randomized PIDs making the system
less stable.  I haven't tried out randomized PIDs lately, so I don't
know if the problems are still there.  Everything else (that I've
tried) seems to be working fine.

Read the documentation -- it outlines known issues, e.g. the PAX stuff
and certain programs like java and WINE.

The grsecurity patch touches a lot of different parts of the kernel, so
if you plan on applying other patches as well, you may have to do a bit
of patching by hand.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA