Re: Setting up VPN's

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 05:43:21PM +0200, Giacomo Mulas wrote:
> yes, but it was a fork from a specific version of freeswan, if I am not
> mistaken. Which means that from that point on they parted ways... I did
> not mean to understate the work done by Herbert Xu at all, sorry if I gave
> you that impression.

Sure, but Herbert's patch is intended to work with both KLIPS (freeswan)
and Linux 2.5+, so assuming the Debian freeswan maintainer elects to
apply it once it's stablized, one should have no problems using the
freeswan userland tools on Debian no matter which kernel they're using.

> I will have to try that, sooner or later, yours is not the first voice
> I hear which states racoon is nicer to set up, but as long as my freeswan
> setup works so nicely, I will probably be too lazy for it...

> > The freeswan developers are way too focused on the opportunistic
> > encryption thing, which I don't believe is particularly valuable.
>
> I don't need it either, but I would probably appreciate being able to use
> it.

I don't think it's possible to *need* opportunistic encryption.  By its
very nature it's unreliable.  You have no guarantee that you've got an
IPsec session with a given host, so you really can't rely on
opportunistic encryption to provide you with any security.

noah