Re: Setting up VPN's

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Noah Meyerhans wrote:

> On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 03:02:14PM +0200, Giacomo Mulas wrote:
> > > Will FreeS/WAN's user-mode part (aka pluto) be ported to Linux 2.6
> > > IPSec? Otherwise FreeS/WAN is a dead end, while IPSec is the standard.
> >
> > No.
>
> Umm.  It already has been ported to Linux 2.5:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-net&m=105263059824311&w=2
> And by non other than our own kernel maintainer, Herbert Xu.

yes, but it was a fork from a specific version of freeswan, if I am not
mistaken. Which means that from that point on they parted ways... I did
not mean to understate the work done by Herbert Xu at all, sorry if I gave
you that impression.

> Personally, I think the BSD racoon and setkey programs are much nicer
> than the FreeS/WAN stuff anyway, and I'm happy to see that that's what
> the 2.5+ IPsec implementation will use.

I will have to try that, sooner or later, yours is not the first voice
I hear which states racoon is nicer to set up, but as long as my freeswan
setup works so nicely, I will probably be too lazy for it...

> The freeswan developers are way too focused on the opportunistic
> encryption thing, which I don't believe is particularly valuable.

I don't need it either, but I would probably appreciate being able to use
it.

bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)